Being a small business owner you are aware of the importance marketing plays in securing the future growth of your company. You have probably heard about Internet marketing and how it has helped many businesses increase their marketing efforts. When I look back over just the last 10 years, I am amazed at how much the Internet has changed our lives both socially and professionally while fading the line between the two.
Every day I see examples of companies that have survived by adapting to our changing times and have implemented Internet marketing to their advantage. One of the largest obstacles regarding Internet marketing for small business owners is knowing how and where to start. Start with blogging! Content creation is one of the best foundations to any businesses Internet marketing strategy.
I recently bought a laptop and I spent hours on the Internet researching different makes, models and prices. I also searched many review sites and blog posts to read the reviews of other users. Using the Internet to research purchases is how people purchase today. I remember the first computer I bought I looked in the Yellow Pages for addresses of the nearest computer stores. Today, you get on the Internet and within a short time you will have all those questions answered. Blogs help create the vast amount of information that people are looking for.
Blogging Benefits for Small Business
Here is a quick list of benefits that businesses can receive from blogging
- Lead generation – With the content provided by blogs, search queries can lead people to your website that have a call to action or landing pages with offers that attract lead information.
- Shortens the sales cycle – With traditional marketing the sales cycle starts with broadcasting a message out to as many people as you can trying to find someone who could be interested. With blogging and inbound marketing, your target audience is actively looking for what you have to offer.
- Get found – Today, people shop online. They want to read or view experiences of other people regarding a product or service they are researching. They also want to see if this company or person is trustworthy and can solve the problem they have.
- Provides feedback – Blogging allows readers to comment. This is a great opportunity to get real marketing feedback from your target audience.
- Build relationships – Because blogs are the foundation of inbound marketing, and with the use of search engine optimization, the information you provide will start to form an online reputation, or personality of you and your company. Your online visibility will start to increase. With fresh, updated content your visitors will continue to come back to your site and continued posts show that you are a thought leader in your topic. The more people see you are knowledgeable about your niche the more they will trust you.
- Inexpensive – This is an added bonus for small business owners. According to a 2010 survey conducted by Hubspot, inbound marketing cost per lead is 60% lower than outbound marketing. You switch from using your wallet to using your brain for marketing your business.
Inbound marketing, or internet marketing, is quickly becoming the best way to connect with today’s customer and blogging, as content creation, grows your inbound marketing efforts and your business. My next post will be about the challenges you can face starting a blog. I will give you some pointers on how to overcome these to start a successful business blog.
(Image credit by vernhart)